Mission – giving and doing for others – is at the heart of the life of First UCC, Royersford. Many of our members are directly involved in and deeply committed to a variety of service ministries and organizations and reach out to people in need within our communities, across the nation, and around the world.
First UCC is a leader among the churches of the United Church of Christ in our mission support. Either through the greater church or directly, with our monetary gifts or with our own hard work, we contribute significantly to many missions. We contribute to missions in the local area and the state of PA, along with missions nationally and internationally.
Our mission work is under the auspices of the Missions and Ministries team within the church. This is led by Gloria Gaynor and Barbara Shaffer. Our Church Women contribute to many of our missions and this is led by Cathleen Bach.
Some of the many missions we joyfully support are listed below.
Click on an image to learn more!
As an Open and Affirming church, First United Church of Christ, Royersford is committed in making sure that compassion and justice is served for those in the LGBTQ Community. We proudly fly a rainbow flag as a symbol to all that no matter who you are, you’re welcome here. A special resource center has been set up in the social hall, providing books, resources, and more to those who need it. On “Rainbow Sunday”, June 24, 2018, we shared with everyone how we are Open to All of God’s Children and Affirming of their Gifts. You can read more about our process here.
A special worship service was planned with a picnic held afterwards. We particularly want to share this congregation with folks who have been rejected by churches because of their sexual orientation or beliefs about orientation, folks who don’t know that there is a place where the message of the Bible is “God is Love” and our call from Christ is to “Love one another.” This is an ongoing mission and we are always looking for more opportunities to show support and advocate for all!
Under the leadership of Gloria Gaynor & Barb Schaffer, the Missions & Ministries team dedicates its energy to ensuring that our congregation is serving all people, both among our church family and in the community. Over the years, this team has taken on many projects and dedicated itself to many worthy causes, which you can find on this page. This team also oversees our Pastoral Visitation Team, which you can read about on our Connect page
All who attend our worship services are welcome to join this team and help our church be the hands and feet of Christ in the world!
Every First Church woman is a member of the Church Women Committee! The Committee is inclusive of all who identify as a woman or are non-binary/gender-fluid and would like to be a part of our work. We are a small, but mighty group of hard workers who are always working on some project or another. Church Women was originally formed as a group to support the missions of the church, and that is still true, but we also have our own missions that we support throughout the year, through several different fundraising activities. The Church Women sponsor two rummage sales each year, as well as a Christmas Bazaar in the fall. We also make Shoo Fly pies several times a year, and most of us are part of the "Apple Dumpling Gang". We like to distribute as much of our funds as we receive!
We meet monthly after church on the first Sunday of the month from September through May, with two dinner outings throughout the year. We also tend to plan Adult Fellowship outings, as well as Elder Buddies luncheons at our meetings as well. We welcome anyone who is interested to come out and see what we are all about! (We also have several "Honorary" Church Women as well!)
First UCC, Royersford is proud to be a 5 for 5 Church in the UCC! We support all of the special mission offerings. They are:
· Our Churches Wider Mission - funds the work we do in the Conferences as well as in the national and global church. OCWM funds are invested in programs, resources, and tools needed to keep local UCC churches strong, effective, and growing. OCWM helps provide pastoral placement and education for church leaders; worship materials and theological interpretation; resources and training for stewardship and fundraising; and so much more. (collected weekly)
· Neighbors in Need- One-third of this offering supports the Council for American Indian Ministry (CAIM) and two-thirds is administered by Justice and Witness Ministries to support a variety of justice initiatives, advocacy efforts, and direct service projects through grants. (receive on World Communion Sunday in October)
· One Great Hour of Sharing- Since the end of WWII, Christian denominations have joined together for the annual OGHS. Proceeds help fund health, education and agricultural development, emergency relief, refugee ministries and both international and domestic disaster response, administered by Wider Church Ministries, Global Sharing of Resources. (received in March)
· Strengthen the Church – Supports church growth, pastoral and lay leadership development, youth and young adult ministries within conferences and administered by Local Church Ministries. (received on Pentecost)
· Christmas Fund – Provides direct financial assistance to retired and active UCC ministers and lay employees and their surviving spouses, including pension and health premium supplementation, emergency assistance, and Christmas thank-you checks. (received in December)